Thursday, March 19, 2009

FASHION DOSAGE Part A - March Edition

Getting To Know Korto – Project Runway’s Season 5 - Fab Finalist




















Fashion designer and stylist Korto Momolu (pronounced Cut • Toe – Mo • Mo • Lu) is a proud wife, mother, and all around classy woman, who now goes frequently without being unnoticed as the fan favorite of Bravo’s hit reality show Project Runway Season 5. From her trademark hairdo, diverse line of clothing and apparel and sharp eye for cutting edge trends, Korto stands out easily from the rest and has captured the attention of many VIP’s in the fashion industry. According to her fans, who already view her as an extraordinary designer, Korto Momolu is more than ready to establish herself as a fashion icon. (
http://www.kortomomolu.com/)




What made you decide to try out for Project Runway, and did you ever imagine coming this far?

I've always wanted to try out for the show , from the very first episode. However, I just had a baby, so I knew I had to wait a little while before Ii could actually try out. My daughter is 4 now so I knew it was now or never. I always imagined that I'd be the winner, the first African American and the second woman to win. So being second wasn't so bad. You get over it, move on and keep on fulfilling our destiny. That’s life.

What were you doing for work, prior to the show? Would you ever move away from Arkansas?


I was actually a hair braider and designed part time. I also did odd jobs in photography and event planning. Arkansas is home for me, but like most of the homes I’ve had in my life, I know there will come a time for me to move on. But the state or the great people here, will always be close to my heart. My husband is originally from here, so we can't go too far, lol.3. I’ve heard that tryouts for Project Runway can be quite strenuous.

What were some of your biggest challenges before appearing on the TV screen?

The try outs for the show were really crazy. Some people were told to go home in the line in times square, where I auditioned. Some were given the chance to go in, but were pre-warned that they were not what they were looking for. I was really calm, I knew that GOD got me there. I was talented and nobody or nothing, they said was going to change those things. I was a designer that sold items, prior to the show, and I was just as good as anyone in that line.

The biggest challenge for me was leaving my child and my husband. It was the first time, since she was born, that we were ever apart that long. And not being able to talk to her daily, or make her understand what was going on, was going to be hard. I knew it was a sacrifice, and I had to do it or always wonder, what if?

How was “Ripping the Runway” with BET? How do you pick out your models? Are you interested in plus-size models, and what really constitutes the requirements?

Rip the runway was a great experience. I felt honored to be asked to be a part of that. It’s great when your own community embraces you. BET actually held auditions for the show the week of the event. Usually when i have a show, I have open auditions. What I look for- is a great walk, and a GOOD HUMBLE ATTITUDE; i don't do divas, lol.

As for height, tall is good, but I will pick a shorter model if she has all of the above. As for full figured models, I always have them representing in my shows. People usually want to see themselves in the models. Almost as if to say, “ wow, if she can wear it so can I.” To only see a size 2 on the runway, sometimes makes us all question if we can carry the designs on the runway. I really want people to feel great in my work, ….see themselves represented and that helps to build great self esteem.

How do you feel about the lack of African American, and Latino models on the runway? Do you see the fashion industry curing it’s melanin deficiency within the next 10 years?

It’s really sad that all of a sudden, we are not being casted. I always cast a mixture of girls and its important to have African American girls, as well as Latino, Asian, and Native American. All size ranges as well. The industry has been called out on it already, but there wasn't a huge change this season, so....nothing has really changed. It starts with the designer. Being African American, it should be our duty to cast girls that look like us, give them work, and show that they are just as beautiful and talented as our Caucasian counterparts. We’ll see what happens next season.

Which designers do you look up to, and aspire to be like?

Going into design, it always encouraged me to see the likes of Byron Lars and Tracy Reese in ebony magazine. They showed me that achieving my dream wasn't impossible. I love Valentino and Oscar Dela Renta as well, for their lengthy careers and the classic style they are known for.

What inspires your work, and what can we expect from your Summer collection? Which stores are distributing it, and will it be sold in Liberia?

My culture usually inspires me. I take a lot of influence from my roots. Fabrics and my environment also play a role in the process of design as well.

At such a young age, why did you and your family have to depart from Liberia?

There was a civil war in Liberia in 1990 and my dad worked for the government, so we were exiled once that happened. We actually had to leave all our possessions. My siblings and I were actually in school in Canada when it happened, so we moved to Canada permanently.

Are there any fashion design programs in West Africa? If so, which would you recommend?

I know in Liberia, we had a lot of tailors that were extremely talented. They would sew without patterns and do great work. I know that there are designers from Kenya, South Africa, and Senegal on the rise, right now.

Since Liberia is bordered by Sierra Leone, does the concept of conflict diamonds hit home for you?

Yes, Liberia is actually one of the countries that had blood diamonds, the media attention has helped with awareness.

As a result of being viewed by millions on the Bravo network, what perks or opportunities have come your away? Were there any opportunities that you declined on because of your moral integrity?

Well, now I am what you call famous without the riches, lol. I can't go anywhere without being recognized. The only perks, I would say, are that the door is open and I don't have to do a lot of knocking. Now people know who I am, and what I’m capable of. However, nothing is being handed to me . I still have to work hard for everything I have. I usually don't do anything with anyone that is controversial. I also keep a tight crew. I am very guarded with my personal life and family.

What are your biggest dreams, and do you feel like you’ve already achieved them?

My biggest dream is to get an investor to help get my clothing line out to the masses... lol. That’s really why I went on the show (project runway). Somewhere down the line, my goal is to have a lifestyle line of everything from home decor to stationary. I have achieved most of my personal goals, and I continue to go after my dreams, until my cup overflows.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Courtney, thanks you for the opportunity and I look forward to reading the a article.Korto



No comments:

Post a Comment